Friday, November 15, 2013

Seed Bead Stitching: Diagonal Peyote Band


My second project from the book Seed Bead Stitching by Beth Stone is a bracelet band in diagonal peyote. I used Japanese cylinder beads again.  This is easier for a newbie like me since they have a consistent shape and lock into place, helping with any issues of thread tension.




I love this weave and think it is perfect for simple bracelet bands, or even rings.  This stitch worked up very fast, although it took me until about halfway through the bracelet to really understand the stitch.  Perhaps doing it in more than one color would have helped with that.  The instructions and pictures in the book were perfect though - and my bracelet came out just like the picture (except theirs has a clasp!).


For variations on this stitch, the book provides examples of the weave in different colors - to form diagonal stripes, and with two different size beads.  When a larger bead is used on the outside, it makes the bracelet look more fancy.  Like there are drops on each end.

I am only two projects in to the peyote chapter.  There are still some earrings that use diagonal peyote but with larger space between the increase and decreases, a necklace that is also a variation of diagonal peyote stitch, but with dangle or drop beads on the band, and another diagonal peyote variation that the author seems to have created that makes a lightning bolt shape band for a bracelet.  Then it is on to tubular peyote!!

I am familiar with tubular peyote, and since I need some clasps for my bracelets, I may move on to there next.  I would like to go back and make the other projects too - but I'm just impatient to try the next thing.

So far this book is fabulous for a beginner or self-taught beader like myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment