Thursday, June 14, 2012

Beautiful Wire Jewelry for Beaders Review: Introduction to Wirework




In order to review a jewelry book and do it justice, I really have to read it.  I know that sounds stupid - but think about it.  How often do you really read the first chapter about tools and wire and techniques?  If you've read it once or twice, that's probably enough.  But since the goal of Beautiful Wire Jewelry for Beaders: Creative Wirework Projects for All Levels book is to provide wirework 'projects for all levels', I have to read what I would normally skip.



Wireworking Basics Information

I was sleepy, my eyes wanted to close, but I persevered and read this chapter.

It was very good and had a few key pieces of information that other books skip.  Like the fact that she uses round wire for projects - isn't that something most of us take for granted?  But if you've never done wire work before - it's a big ah-hah moment to discover that you can't just buy any wire.  

I like the no-nonsense approach to the basic information.  With a lot of pictures, this chapter tells you all the basics about wire gauge, wire temper, wire shape, wire working tools and basic wire techniques (simple loop, wrapped loop, spirals, hammering, crimping and patina) - in only 9 pages!  It's done in a reference style with the name of the item, picture and description that is easy to refer back to.

Finding Information in the Book

I love the way this book devotes the outside one half inch of the page (on both sides) to a horizontal indicator telling you about this section of the book.  The introduction chapter has a navy blue margin and is labeled with the subject of the page.  In the projects section, the left side margin is labeled with the skill level and the right hand margin describes the technique.  All of the sections are color coded.  The beginner section has a red margin, intermediate is gold and advanced is green.  It is easy to understand what to expect in each section and page of the book.  It is also easy to find information that you may have already used.  It is a fabulous organization system.

The Wire Jewelry Projects


There are 7 projects for each jewelry making skill level.  Often one project will consists of a matching set of necklace and earrings.  I haven't chosen my first project yet - but I think I will tonight!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment